Maryland State Certification

Most used vehicles are required by Maryland Law to undergo a safety inspection prior to its sale or transfer. The buyer (or transfer) of the vehicle is required to obtain the inspection certificate.  However, for class E trucks (exceeding ¾ ton manufacturer’s rated capacity), class F truck tractors, and class G freight trailers, semi-trailers and dump service semi-trailers, either the seller/transferor or the purchaser/transferee may obtain the inspection certificate.  The purchaser/transferee then submits the inspection certificate to the MVA in order to register the vehicle.

How do you obtain a Maryland Inspection Certificate for my vehicle?

To obtain an inspection certificate, you must have your vehicle inspected at an authorized safety inspection station in Maryland.  The Maryland State Police has licensed approximately 1,600 of these facilities in all parts of the state. 

Montgomery Village Shell is licensed to perform the inspection on—

  • Passenger cars; and SUV’s with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less
  • Consider an Oil Change to keep your car in top performance

Licensed, Bonded, and Insured